Saturday, June 07, 2008

Wedding side note...just call me Janet Jackson

Okay, there aren't any pictures (thankfully) but I had a little wardrobe malfunction during the wedding.

First of all, let me set the scene. The dress that I had gotten was purchased pre-pregnancy. Since I'm only 10 weeks and the dress was not terribly restricting in the waist area, I did not think there would be any problem (which means I had NO back up wedding attire) with the fit. What I did not take into consideration was that areas other than the baby bump would be enlarged...if you know what I'm saying. Needless to say, I was a little panicked when I got dressed at the house because it was a tight squeeze to get the zipper all the way up along my ribcage. I almost had a panic attack because I couldn't take a deep breath. Matt thought I was being so dramatic, but for real - I was getting hot and faint feeling pulling it over my head.

Soooo, during the wedding (I'm sitting in the very front row to help entertain and occupy the smallest wedding attendants) I make a sudden and unexpected movement reaching for an escaping child and the zipper split. Just so you have a nice visual, the zipper started at my upper thigh and went ALL THE WAY UP to my armpit, approximately 18 inches. I'm sure you can imagine all that was exposed in that area. Luckily, my daughter had a huge, poofy dress so I swooped her up and made an abrupt (and hopefully not too noticeable) exit. I was totally mortified. Supposedly nobody noticed but I sure did feel a whole lot of 'open air' on my skin that should have been covered. I had Matt see if he could fix the zipper and of course, there was no possibly way to salvage that thing. Soooo, I had to change clothes (I'm sooo glad I decided to throw them in the bag at the last minute) and wear cargo pants and a tank top for the rest of the wedding and reception. For those who know me well, can appreciate how annoying this was. Not only was it embarrassing to be partially naked (okay, maybe that's a small exaggeration but whatever), but it is my total pet peeve when people come to a wedding dressed for a camp out. Very interesting that that was me. Please kill me now.

According to Matt's cousin, my new name is Janet Jackson. Fabulous.

10 comments:

The Rhoads said...

Thank you for sharing!!! you had me laughing till my belly ached...I am just SO SAD i wasnt there to see it first hand. (i still would have laughed that hard!) I do SO think Janet Jackson suits you well.
I wish I had a little of your 'upper body problem'
muah! and the kids are darling in their pics!

Nana (Deb Stevenson) said...

Well daughter of mine, I have tears rolling down my face and of all people, I can't imagine it was YOU that this happened to. Lesson learned, during pregnancy, your body changes in more ways than you can imagine, in different times! You have made a 'memory' for this wedding, never to live it down!! Love you anyway!

Zain Carrell said...

Fast thinking on your part with Makynli and her big poofy dress coming in quite handy. What WOULD you have done without them, and Erica I was sitting right behind her and just thought she was upset with Makynli because of how fast she snatched her up and took off. I had no idea until I saw her at the reception!! She did give us all a good laugh and no we won't forget this wedding story!!

Anonymous said...

Staci - When you entered our church, you may or may not have noticed that the name is Crossroads Fellowship. Even though we no longer fly the Baptist banner, we do have our standards. I realize that we conduct non-conventional services to try to appeal to a broader group, but until now, nudity was not allowed. I'll check with Pastor Griff and the ministerial staff to see if this is going to be permitted. If so, I'm confident that the male attendance will grow substantially and we will begin a new era for our church and community. Thanks for being on the cutting edge of our outreach ministry.

Your brother in Christ, Roy.
P.S. J.J. is in the house.

Cindy said...

Well, Janet - I'm proud of you! You took a chance, you shared, and that is the first step to healing! Doesn't God have a sense of humor? (ie. Campout attire) It will not be long and you will look back and see this as a distant memory! Unfortunately for you, no one else will. They will remind you of it every chance they get! But, remember who they are, sister! They will no doubt give you something to forever hold over their heads! And I bet you won't have to wait long! Love ya!

The Mangus Family said...

im with erica... wish i had been there to see that :) love you!

Stacey said...

so so funny! like i was there!

we are so excited for you guys! what wonderful news about your upcoming family addition!

found some old pics of my baby shower at the hh company and pics of the boys as babes! made me want to cry and smile at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha I would just like to be paid my royalties for coming up with the name Janet Jackson for you. Everyone that has used that name refering to Staci can address their checks to Ryan Young, 4512 Mercedes Dr, Midland Tx, 79703. Thank you very much.

P.S. If you would like to receive the photos I took of this event please include an extra $20. Trust me they are worth it!!!

Anonymous said...

Sooooo funny, wished I could have been there too! Kids are so beautiful. See you soon!

Brenda E. said...

I laughed HYSTERICALLY at this post. I'm sorry but it was even funnier knowing how particular you are about dressing properly for formal events! I still cannot believe you didn't just stay in the car. I'm so proud that you didn't.